MEET ASHBROOK TENNIS CLUB

Ashbrook Tennis Club is located at 

Bushes Lane, Rear Grosvenor Rd, Rathgar, Dublin 6.

Eircode:  D06 RY23

At Ashbrook LTC  we pride ourselves on providing a sporting and social centre in Rathgar over the last 100 years.

As a small club we are run on a totally voluntary basis.  We have 6 all weather courts and a club house with a bar which is available for functions.  We hope to provide a warm and supporting welcome to any new members whether experienced or new to tennis.

Main Committee

Jim Salisbury - President/Chairman

Alison MacDonald - Honorary Secretary (info.@ashbrooktennisclub.ie)

Niall Humphreys - Honorary Treasurer (treasurer@ashbrooktennisclub.ie)

Denise Lynch - Ladies Captain

Andrew Ryan, Martin Kennedy - Joint Men's Captain

Marguerite Ryan, Dolores Molloy - Club Maintenance

Clare Lynch - Juniors Officer

Brian Bohill 087 2233795- Child Protection Officer & Safety Officer

Hilary Frazer 087 779 9845- Child Protection Officer

Tennis Committee

Denise Lynch - Ladies Captain

Brendan Byrne

James Gillen

Martina Halpin

Paula Jones

Martin Kennedy

Andrew Ryan

Scott Ziglinski

Court Maintenance

Stephen Vaughan

Bar Development

Kieron O'Brien

HISTORY:

Ashbrook LTC was founded in 1922 at Green Lanes in Kimmage. In 1927 the members acquired a 40 year lease on the ground of No. 20 Grosvenor Road. Showing the intrepid spirit that still characterises the club, the members transported the old pavilion by horse, cart and bicycle to the new club grounds.

Six grass courts were laid and, perhaps reflecting the dramas on court, a theatrical society developed where Milo O’Shea and Maureen Potter got their first laughs. Dances were run on Saturday nights from the ‘50s to the ‘70s and drew crowds from all over the city.

In 1966, the lease was renewed for another 40 years and the following year, No. 20 and its grounds went up for sale. The club purchased both and later sold the house. In the meantime Ashbrook tennis went from strength to strength. In 1960, we won Class 2 and played Class 1 for ten years. Between 1964 and 1970, we also ran the City of Dublin Open Championship. In 1967, Ashbrook hosted the Irish Open Championship in conjunction with the City of Dublin –the first and only time the Irish Open was played outside of Fitzwilliam LTC.

In 1987, our famous old pavilion burned down and was replaced in 1988 by the new building with its bar, lounge, dressing rooms and function hall.

 

Finally, in 1998, the next major development was completed – the laying of 6 new tennis courts with lighting.

Jim.jpg
ashbrook17_422.jpg